Callan Park was initially a combination of purchases by Crown Solicitor and Police Magistrate John Ryan Brenan. In 1839 he bought what he then named the Garry Owen Estate. Brenan’s residence, Garry Owen House, built c1840 and possibly designed by Colonial Architect Mortimer Lewis, was on an elevation overlooking the Parramatta River, with a tree lined avenue (part of which survives) from wrought iron gates on Balmain Road through spacious gardens. For many years the house was the Nurses Training School for Callan Park (later Rozelle) Hospital. Today the Greek Revival style house is the home of the NSW Writers’ Centre.
Since 2007 the National Library – in partnership with State and Territory libraries – has been digitising out of copyright newspapers. It’s now possible to search through the project’s Australian Newspapers site newspapers published in each state and territory from the 1800s until the mid-1950s.
Newspapers of particular interest to those of us researching Sydney include:
Sydney Chronicle (1846-1848)
Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser (1803-1842)
Sydney Herald (1831-1842)
Sydney Monitor (1828-1838)
Sydney Monitor and Commercial Advertiser (1838-1841)
Sydney Morning Herald (1842-1954)
Sunday Herald (1949-1953)
In October the project scanned its 30 millionth article! You can log-on to this tremendous resource at www.nla.gov.au/ndp/