ORAL HISTORY GOING TO PRESS: How to publish from the interviews
Join members of the NSW branch of the Oral History Association of Australia on Saturday July 31 for their next regular seminar with Laila Ellmoos, historian, Government Architects’ Office, author and winner of a State Library Scholarship in 2007, who will talk about Island of Peter Pan or Island of the Damned?: writing a history of people with an intellectual disability resident on Peat Island, NSW and Jo Kijas, historian, author and National Trust cultural heritage awards winner on her recent award-winning oral history project Lighthouses of Northern New South Wales for the Department of Environment, Climate Change and Water. Her talk is entitled Lighthouse Keeping : a partnership.
In the afternoon, Rosie Block, curator of oral history at the State Library of NSW will conduct a practical workshop on doing oral history. More details can be found at www.ohaansw.org.au/page/activities.html
This artwork was donated to Leichhardt Council by Reg Richardson of Security Self Storage, Annandale. In the 1990s Security Self Storage worked out of Beale’s Trafalgar Street building, where the painting had formerly hung in the foyer.
Signed “Smith and Julius Studio” the painting would have been produced in the 1920s. In 1906 Ure Smith joined with fellow artist and friend Harry Julius to form Smith and Julius Studio in Bond Street, Sydney. Drawing on contacts in advertising and with printers, the Smith and Julius Studio set high standards in Australian advertising. Clients of the studio included David Jones, Anthony Hordern and ‘Home’ magazine. A hub for Sydney’s art community from the early 1900s, Smith and Julius employed such artists as Lloyd Rees, Margaret Preston, Roland Wakelin and Thea Proctor.
The largest piano factory in the Southern Hemisphere, Beale’s Pianos were known for their fine craftsmanship – in 1908 they won every award in the Franco – British Exhibition held in Paris. Operating for over 60 years in Trafalgar Street, today Beale’s Piano Factory building is an apartment block listed on the register of the National Estate.
Reminisce and celebrate the cultural and historic contribution made by Italian fruiterers to Sydney’s social history when Co.As.It., (Italian Association of Assistance) in collaboration with the Australian Centre for Public History (ACPH) at the University of Technology, Sydney, present this major photographic exhibition. Photographs of smiling fruiterer families eager to present a picture of respectability, family unity and migrant success, belie the 18-hour days, physical labour, and social sacrifices that had to be made for their ‘shop full of dreams’ to succeed. These shops changed Australian eating habits and made a tangible impact on the cultural landscape of our streets and suburbs.
This exhibition extracts the cultural significance of the Italian fruit shops in Sydney from the turn of the twentieth century, and will leave a lasting record and legacy for present and future generations.
The exhibition runs from Sunday 23 May to 8 August 2010 Monday to Friday, 10am-7pm Saturday to Sunday, 11am-4pm Customs House, Level 1 31 Alfred Street, Circular Quay, Sydney NSW 2000 Ph: 02 9242 8551