“NAIDOC week” says Craig Greene, Leichhardt Council’s Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander project worker, “should be important to all Australians as it celebrates the people of the oldest living culture in the world – Aboriginal Australians! It acknowledges our survival and our continued connection to country, language and culture. It is also about Aboriginal people being proud as legitimate contributors to the nation as a whole”
A Gurindji man originally from the Northern Territory, Craig and his team have got together an inspiring programme of events in the Leichhardt area for NAIDOC week which runs from July 7-11, including a celebration of Indigenous film and story telling, a heritage walk in Callan Park and two events at Boomalli Aboriginal Arts Cooperative – you can download the full programme here: NAIDOC 2008 (PDF reader required)
More on the history of NAIDOC and its significance can be found at:
IMAGE: Leichhardt Town Hall, 2006
First municipal elections for newly formed Annandale Council following secession from Leichhardt Council, Annandale, 1894.
The NSW branch of the Oral History Association of Australia is holding its next workshop/seminar late July. For anyone interested in the practice of oral history these seminars are worth attending – here are the details:
Saturday 26 July
10 am for 10.30 am to 4.45 PM
Metcalfe Auditorium, Macquarie Street Wing foyer
$48, $42 (Friends), $38 (Oral History Association of Australia members), includes lunch; morning or afternoon sessions $18 each ($30 with lunch) Bookings telephone: 02 9273 1414
Anna Jarrett, professional — and travelling — storyteller, takes a fresh look at oral history philosophy and practice. This presentation gives insights into the sensitivities of working with stories at every stage of oral history production from research to final representation. Discover the roles of listeners, story custodians, community cultural workers, media producers — and friends! In the afternoon Rosemary Block, the State Library’s Curator of Oral History, will conduct a practical seminar on oral history practice.
Bridge Hotel Rozelle, 1941. A new watering hole for Rozelle’s local workers. The Bridge Hotel, Victoria Road, Rozelle days after being re-built in the Art Deco style following the widening of Weston Street (now Victoria Road).
Compilation of a factual history of the Rozelle Hospital site and the evolution of its architecture has become urgent. The hospital had a continuous 160-year history of providing care for the community’s mentally ill, before closing its doors at the end of April, with all patients being transferred to Concord Hospital.
The site is an integral part of Leichhardt’s evolving built environment but the demolition of 117 of its current 176 buildings is proposed. Although necessary research on Callan Park’s grand stone buildings is largely complete, together with that on former estates, Garry Owen and Broughton Hall, the significance of the newer brick buildings on the site is often overlooked.
At the time, the hospital buildings of the 1950s and 1960s were regarded as innovative and long overdue. They are a visible statement about removing the social stigma previously attached to mental illness, together with the custodial (“asylum”) approach to its care and treatment. Although these newer buildings lack the charm and grandeur of the older hospital buildings, their functional design and brick construction symbolize an era of mental health reform: Callan Park’s high surrounding brick wall fell as these modern buildings rose.
“These buildings represent pivotal change in the history of public health care” architectural historian and editor of the Leichhardt Historical Journal Peter Reynolds said. Leichhardt Historical Journal, an independent journal that has published local history since 1971, is to produce a book titled Callan Park and Broughton Hall: An Urban Haven which will record all buildings on the former hospital site. “The Journal’s acquisition of original plans of these buildings will add enormous value to the book and should help the site’s long term conservation” he added.
Peter Reynolds is collaborating with architect Ken Leong on the book; Leong’s thesis Rozelle Hospital (1819-1984) its origins and development: the amalgamation of Callan Park Mental Hospital & Broughton Hall Psychiatric Clinic was completed in 1984 for the degree of Bachelor of Architecture at UNSW. For more information on the project contact: John Williams on email email@example.com or visit www.lhj.org.au
- Rozelle Hospital, ca 1900
- Aerial view of Callan Park and Rozelle Hospital, 2003